Capture tutorial with DVD quality

This forum is for problems or questions about anything to do with the content on this site or general questions about editing video or viewing multimedia files.

Moderators: Rob, The Sentinels

Capture tutorial with DVD quality

Postby Muiter » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:06 pm

I wrote this tutorial to explain how you can capture and compress with almost DVD quality as result.

You need VirtualDub: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/virt ... 1_4_10.zip
We use PICVideo for compressing when we are capturing: http://www.pegasusimaging.com/picvideomjpeg.htm
ofcourse try to find a cracked version
DivX Pro 5.05 are we using for the final compressing: http://www.divx.com/divx/
First, install the DivX 5.05 Pro. Then, disconnect the internet. In the toolbar below, in Start, click "Execute" and write msconfig . In the new window you have several sections, go to the last one, start. There you see a series of checked and unchecked things. Look for Trickler or gain_trickler_3202.exe, and uncheck it. Windows tell you that in order to apply the change you have to restart. Re-connect the modem and restart.

Here we go:

Start VirtualDub

Capturing

Select File -> Capture AVI

File -> Set capture file

Audio -> Compression

Video -> Compression -> PICVideo MJPEG Codec -> Configure
Don't forget to fill in your Username and Registration Number

Video -> Set custom format

Capture -> Settings

Now we can start capturing: F6 to start, Esc to stop

Compressing:

(When you are still in the capture mode choose: File -> Exit capture mode)

File -> Open video file

Select: Video -> Full processing mode

Video -> Compressing -> DivX Pro 5.05 Codec -> Configure

Select: Audio -> Avi audio

Select: Audio -> Full processing mode

Audio -> Compressing

Now we are ready to start compressing: File -> Save as AVI

The last thing we have to do is correct the frame rate so it matches the sound

Select: Video -> Direct stream copy

Video -> Frame rate

Select: Audio -> Direct stream copy

The last step: File -> Save as AVI

The results are:
- Almost no frameloss
- Great quality
- 1 minute is ~5.9 Mb

If you have any questions please ask them and I will try to help you.

Can someone make this topic sticky? Thanks!

[edit : NooDle : stickyfied the topic, tnx a lot for these hints!]
Last edited by Muiter on Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby IanF1 » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:23 pm

hey, some great tips, ill try it out now
My fishing trip wasn't very successful, all I caught was a tyre, a boot, a tin can....and a book of clichés.
IanF1
4 Time F1 Champion

Postby Félix » Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:34 pm

Very good work :wink:
Félix
Double F1 Champion

Postby Muiter » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:15 am

Since a few weeks I have some problems with capturing. I hope someone can help me with this. Here you can find more information about my problem: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331812#331812
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby IanF1 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:33 pm

hey Muiter,
I think i know the problem with capturing from a VCR, i have this smae problem. When you recored of the TV on to the VCR, then connect the VCR onto the TV card there is a "Haze" for me Heres wot i mean:

This image was taken direct from the TV, a perfect qualify image

Compare it to this:

This is from the VCR, there is a blue'ish haze, causing the compressor to have to compress more colour and segments of the video, using more computer resourses and slowing it down, causing it to miss frames

do you get this problem? its really annoying for me so if i miss somethink from a race then if have to capture it in crap quality
My fishing trip wasn't very successful, all I caught was a tyre, a boot, a tin can....and a book of clichés.
IanF1
4 Time F1 Champion

Postby Muiter » Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:41 pm

My problem is much worse. I used to perfect without any problems but since a few weeks I'm losing about 30% of my frames for some reason. I have this only when I'm capturing from my VCR.
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby IanF1 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:08 pm

but do you get the haze effect Muiter? if yes then thats the problem, if not then i dont know
IanF1
4 Time F1 Champion

Postby Guy » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:30 pm

I am using ADS Tech to capture my stuff. I tried to install VirtualDub but I`m getting a message that I don`t have a capturing device. I do have one. Can somebody help me out with this ? Thanks
Guy
F3 Champion

Postby UkF1 » Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:57 am

I get one saying another program is using my capture device!!! :x :? So I cant actually use Virual Dub. I have done what it says to do, disable WinTV etc etc.
www.UkF1.net - Motorsport Multimedia :flag:
www.AE-Photography.co.uk - Motorsport Photography :bg:
UkF1
F1 Legend

Postby Muiter » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:08 am

UkF1 Lad wrote:I get one saying another program is using my capture device!!! :x :? So I cant actually use Virual Dub. I have done what it says to do, disable WinTV etc etc.

You can't run VirtualDub and another prgram that uses your tv-card at the same time.
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby corbus2000 » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:33 pm

Hey guys, im no expert in this field, but it looks like your VCR is causing an electrical field to interfere with the picture.
The only advice i can offer is move your VCR as far away from your pc & also your tv card as possible-thus minimising the chances of the VCR electircal field messing uyour video's.
Hope this wasn't useless to every1
Good Luck
Nick
"There's nothing worse than being ordinary"
corbus2000
Formula Renault Driver

Postby Muiter » Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:56 am

They have finnaly release DivX 5.05 and witht the tutorial above you should be able to make high quality videos again. Ofcourse you have to add one or more filters.
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby FrankAlexandre » Thu May 29, 2003 5:14 pm

Muiter wrote:They have finnaly release DivX 5.05 and witht the tutorial above you should be able to make high quality videos again. Ofcourse you have to add one or more filters.

Muiter, what filter can i use to help enconding capture from old vhs?
FrankAlexandre
F3000 Driver

Postby Pernu » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:40 pm

Using PAL 2 fields if more than "xxx" lines the xxx should be 288 (576/2).
Although i'd recommend to always turn it off and use another deinterlacing method.

This setting can ofcourse be set as high as possible (CPU speed/HD space/Capture Device) and resized later to smaller size as it decreases the effect of haze (or noise or whatever it's called), by smoothing it.

Note when capturing F1 or other sport event:
Broadcast most likely is 50fps and you can use avisynth.dll (+smart bob filter for Vdub) to separate those fields and get slowmotion video or a 50fps incrediby smooth video. ftp://download:download@f1videos.myip.org/02/Indy - MS-RB - Slowmotion.AVI (4,8mb)

This again should be set as high as possible (Soundcard/HD space/capture device) and later encoded to mp3 using Professional version of Frauenhofer mp3 codec or another encoder (use NanDub to copy the soundtrack (vbr/cbr mp3) to video with direct stream copy on with both, video and audio).

Mono is enough for speak, but with music stereo is better choice (if your device supports stereo and the source is stereo)

Cropping: I'd prefer vdub's null tarnsform-cropping as set to the beinning of filter chain it prevents other filters to soften pictures black edges to rest of it.

Psychovisual enhancements: I usually use normal, but haven't seen any difference in test clips...

Pre processing source: I use this setting always off and use VDub filters to reduce noise from video. Imo Extreme pre processing blurs the picture far too much and losts every bit of detail in the picture.

There should be no need to do this if capturing audio in PCM format (if using mp3 it screws video/audio sync - Check VDub manual). Vdub can fix problems with mp3 when recompressing the video.

And finally some (imo) good filters:
-Temporal smoother (in vdub)
-Smart smoother (link can be found from vdub homepage)
-Smart deinterlace - (link can be found from vdub homepage)
*"This filter provides a smart, motion-based deinterlacing capability. In static picture areas, interlacing artifacts do not appear, so data from both fields is used to provide full detail. In moving areas, deinterlacing is performed. Also, some clips derived from telecined material can appear to be interlaced when in fact they only require field shift and/or swaps to recover progressive (noninterlaced) frames. The filter provides advanced processing options to deal with these clips."

-Smart BOB (link can be found from vdub homepage)
*"This filter acts similarly to the Smart Deinterlacer filter, except that it produces a doubled frame rate output file. For example, if the input is 30 frames per second (fps) interlaced, the output will be 60 fps progressive. Each output frame is created from a single input field by either interpolating data or by using data from the previous frame (=field, see below), depending upon whether the area is detected as moving or not. The filter uses bicubic interpolation for best results. It also provides a "dumb bob" mode by which the entire frame can be interpolated regardless of motion. "

-XSharpen (link can be found from vdub homepage)
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby FrankAlexandre » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:15 pm

I've found Unsharp filter work better and has more options than Xsharpen to sharpen the picture. Another thing, i think from now i will keep my captures "blurred" because a blurred video is 20% smaller than a sharpened. This should be very useful to fit the races at 1 cd, specially long races. Of course a sharpened picture looks better to see, but i have found today the decoder program "ffdshow" has a sharpened option to see the movie. You can acces it from the movie properties, the better about it is there is also a lot of other options, like noise reduction, blur and aspect ratio view. :D
Pernu, had you tried a virtual dub codec with name "frame merger"? I have tried it and it seens also very useful.
"Frame Merger 0.1
This filter was built to smooth temporally the picture (blending each frame with the previous one) in order to reduce noise, artefacts and the bitrate needed to encode the stream. Blending strength and propagation are configurable"

Get it from here: http://www.geocities.com/gc_timsara/vdub.html
FrankAlexandre
F3000 Driver

Postby Pernu » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:27 pm

FrankAlexandre wrote:I've found Unsharp filter work better and has more options than Xsharpen to sharpen the picture. Another thing, i think from now i will keep my captures "blurred" because a blurred video is 20% smaller than a sharpened. This should be very useful to fit the races at 1 cd, specially long races. Of course a sharpened picture looks better to see, but i have found today the decoder program "ffdshow" has a sharpened option to see the movie. You can acces it from the movie properties, the better about it is there is also a lot of other options, like noise reduction, blur and aspect ratio view. :D
Pernu, had you tried a virtual dub codec with name "frame merger"? I have tried it and it seens also very useful.
"Frame Merger 0.1
This filter was built to smooth temporally the picture (blending each frame with the previous one) in order to reduce noise, artefacts and the bitrate needed to encode the stream. Blending strength and propagation are configurable"

Get it from here: http://www.geocities.com/gc_timsara/vdub.html

I'm using ffdshow myself and yes your way works fine when you have to get the file on cd (i don't use CDs as it's cheaper to buy new HDs

I'll check those filters out, thanks.
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby Muiter » Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:05 am

Pernu have you any ideas which filter I should use for my problem. If you watch clip: http://members.chello.nl/~m.ruiter4/prob.avi you'll see that some parts are fucked-up and other parts are great.
Muiter
5 Time F1 Champion

Postby Pernu » Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:09 am

Muiter wrote:Pernu have you any ideas which filter I should use for my problem. If you watch clip: http://members.chello.nl/~m.ruiter4/prob.avi you'll see that some parts are fucked-up and other parts are great.

Bitrate is just too low for better quality. Also trying 2-pass encoding is something you should do (if you didn't already).

Resizing to smaller resolution also leaves more bits per pixel and so improves quality. I'd increase bitrate if there's no real reson for that low bitrate.

Filters: Frame merger was a good one.
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby Pernu » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:50 am

Does anyone know a VDub filter to reduce ghost pictures from video?

BTW: The pic is from VHS.
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby JP Montoya » Thu Aug 05, 2004 4:55 pm

Pernu wrote:Does anyone know a VDub filter to reduce ghost pictures from video?

BTW: The pic is from VHS.

yes, there is. :wink:
It is called ghost remover. :)
JP Montoya
F3 Driver

Postby Pernu » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:31 am

JP Montoya wrote:

Just found a lot of exorcism pages 8O
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby JP Montoya » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:09 pm

Pernu wrote:
JP Montoya wrote:

Just found a lot of exorcism pages 8O

LOL!!! ahaha, that is the name for some exorcism thing! :lol: :lol: :P :P :twisted:
send me a message with your email address and then I will send the file to you! :wink: :)
JP Montoya
F3 Driver

Postby Pernu » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:18 am

JP Montoya wrote:LOL!!! ahaha, that is the name for some exorcism thing! :lol: :lol: :P :P :twisted:
send me a message with your email address and then I will send the file to you! :wink: :)

It's in my profile.
Pernu
F1 Driver

Postby JP Montoya » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:39 am

Pernu wrote:
JP Montoya wrote:LOL!!! ahaha, that is the name for some exorcism thing! :lol: :lol: :P :P :twisted:

It's in my profile.

i don't see it... :roll: :roll:
JP Montoya
F3 Driver

Return to Technical Support